The chainsaw is one of the essential equipment in the logging, forestry, or the environmental industry, making it easier to cut large wood boards. However, when the machine works for a long time, the teeth wear out. This problem leads to difficulty in cutting the wood.
To help consumers choose the best chainsaw sharpeners, we will share a few buying tips below and together with the top best products. Read this article carefully to select the sharpener you like the most.
You need to consider the following features regarding your chainsaw sharpener.
1. Choose your machine type
Whether you need a sharpener for your workshop or workplace, there is a model to suit your needs.
Electric chainsaw sharpeners: This type is usually attached to the work table to provide a stable base for grinding the saw. The electric sharpener offers you a grinding wheel to flex every pitch of the saw chain according to your adjustments.
- Manual filing Sharpeners: This sharpener allows you to file by hand thanks to locking the saw's sides. With this type of craft, you need to use them properly to avoid damaging the saw teeth.
- Bar Mounted Chainsaw Sharpeners: This machine provides an intensive sharpening process. Its saw blade sharpening process will be at the level between an electric and manual chainsaw sharpener. They provide precise sharpening with perfect control over the sharpening blade, but you have to ace like a desk that efficiently moves the chain through the sharpener take your chain off to sharpen it. To use this type of machine, you need a stable surf.
The electric chainsaw sharpener is best suited for an experienced furniture maker that uses the saw very often. Nevertheless, if you are an occasional user, use a Manual filing or Bar Mounted Chainsaw Sharpener. They are less expensive but do well.
This criterion should be carefully considered when purchasing an electric sharpener. The larger the capacity of the machine is, the better the tool will be sharpened. The chainsaw sharpener's power ranges from 75W to 300W, depending on the different engine models and sizes. It would be best to keep in mind that a machine with a strong motor will provide a higher RPM. Despite being a bit more expensive, it can speed up the sharpening speed to grind the saw as quickly as possible.
3. Chain size
The saw sharpener, especially the manual filing sharpener, will not sharpen different chain sizes. Only available with most electrical machines, you can flexibly adjust it to suit different chain sizes. Hence, check if the chainsaw sharpener you are choosing can sharpen the whole chain of the saw.
4. Material Quality
During its use, the sharpener suffered a lot of wear and tear. Therefore, the material quality of the machine is crucial to consider. We recommend that you choose a chainsaw sharpener made from heavy metal instead of cheap plastic. You invest in your sawmill, so invest in something valuable, robust, durable, and easy to use.
5. Your Budget
You should consider your budget for everything you want to buy, including this sharpener. For this, you have to know what features you request and what's not in the product. Thereby, you should choose a product at your fingertips. While it's a bit hard to get a high-quality electric sharpener within your budget, if it's low, don't worry. Just choose the best sharpener out of the other two available options.
The first product on this list we'd recommend for you is the Oregon 620-120 Professional. This device is rated as the best overall product, thanks to its impressive features.
The machine is not designed too big, quite convenient for placing on the bench. This advantage also makes it possible to sharpen with different sizes of the chainsaw. The sharpener is designed with a flexible sharpening point that you can adjust easily. Besides, it also provides durability and convenience when sharpening chainsaws.
In addition to the sharpening tip design, you can also provide a convenient spare sharpening pad for each replacement when you buy this machine. Choose this machine if you want to experience all its helpful features.
While this saw sharpener comes at a very reasonable price, you get excellent build quality from it. Besides, it comes with a one-year warranty that can last for a long time without any problems. You get a unique design with this saw as it attaches directly to your saw blade.
You get various adjustment options in Granberg Bar-Mount that allow you to adjust the chain tooth height and length according to your requirements. Unfortunately, this one of the best chainsaw sharpeners doesn't come with any files due to its budget and affordable price tag.
The Katzco chainsaw sharpener is the best choice for the manual filing type, and the cheapest model featured in this article. Although the price tag is not as high as the previous two models on the list, it still benefits users. It comes with various accessories as it is a complete set to sharpen the chain on your saw easily. Its included accessories include a wooden handle, a depth gauge, a guide, a tool bag, and more.
Despite the set's affordable price, all the included files and accessories are of good build quality. Therefore, Katzco Chainsaw Sharpener is a good value for money for many users.
Last update on 2022-12-02 / Affiliate links / Images, Product Titles, and Product Highlights from Amazon Product Advertising API
1. How can I use my chainsaw sharpener?
To make the sharpening of the saw blade easier and safer, you should follow the following steps:
- Step 1: We need to carefully determine the blade and chain size and then choose the appropriate type of saw sharpener.
- Step 2: Please clean the chain entirely with a brush or grass. You can use oil to wash away the dirt on the chainsaw, on the sprocket, the bar cover, and other details.
- Step 3: It is advisable to check that the chain links are damaged carefully or too worn than the manufacturer's standards. The chain links are chipped or bent in the long run, so it is dangerous to the user.
- Step 4: Place the sharpener machine on a shelf to fix the Bar and chain. Use a vise to save it. You must set the device to sharpen the blade as quickly as possible during the grinding process.
- Step 5: Determine the first chain link to start sharpening. Note to choose the minor links to edge first. If the links are even, then any can be.
- Step 6: File the chain link at the base of the cutting point on the front side. When filing, you must pay attention to the appropriate size of the drain.
- Step 7: Once you have determined the file's direction, you should file the saw blade forward.
- Step 8: When finished filing. Check that any chain teeth are uneven compared to the previous one, then file as shown.
2. When should the saw blade be sharpened?
When you notice the following signs on your saw blade, make sure your saw blade needs sharpening.
Your saw will produce more sawdust instead of it producing coarse fibers. This problem can be seen when cutting along the wood.
- White smoke occurs when sawing even though the chain is correctly tensioned and the oil is lubricated enough.
- During cutting is not straight and optical shrink. This is a sign that the saw blade has worn unevenly.
- The vibration of the machine has increased abnormally, causing the user to become problematic.
3. How to maintain the chainsaw blade?
Chain saw blades are often used to see wood, so they are likely to be chipped or worn or blunted. When maintaining it, you need to remove dust from the chain saws. When necessary, replace the chain saw to ensure the sharpest blade.
When using electric machines such as chainsaw sharpener, one note is that you should avoid too long wires, which will be very dangerous. When cleaning, wipe the power cord to prevent dust from sawdust!
Above is all information on how to sharpen the chain saw blade you can build a home. Besides, you can also maintain your chainsaw blade better in no time. So, try filing a chain saw.
4. What are protective tips when using the best chainsaw sharpeners?
If you use the chainsaw sharpener incorrectly or carelessly, you are more likely to be injured by it. Therefore, to protect your hands from danger from this machine, you need to pay attention to the following points:
Do not use a hand sharpener to perform other works. For the wrong purpose, it will be dangerous to use the destructive features of the product.
- Do not operate the sharpener with the exceeding speed indicated on the machine. It may cause the accessory to splash out, resulting in damage to the device and endanger the user.
- Check the appliance before each use. Please do not use it when the engine shows signs of wear.
- When working on the edges, care should be taken to prevent the part from bouncing, which can cause the element to lose control while rotating.
- Always clean the machine after use to improve the longevity of the engine.
5. Why does my chainsaw blade tarnish so quickly?
This problem is mainly due to the inappropriate way of using the machine. You may be tilting an angle on the mower, which will quickly tarnish. Or it may be cutting dirty wood or slightly touching the ground with the tip of the stick. These situations all lead to discoloration of the saw blade.
In short, the chainsaw sharpener is a series of machines used exclusively in blade sharpening to help the chainsaw blade ensure the sharpness of the saw during use, thereby ensuring the quality and progress of the work.
And to meet the different needs of blade sharpening, you will also need different types of chainsaw sharpener machines. Our articles have helped you grasp how to buy and use the chainsaw sharpener in the most reliable way. Below is a summary of the best chainsaw sharpeners that we recommend:
- Best Electric: Oregon 620-120 Professional is rated as the best overall product, thanks to its impressive features. These are flexible and convenient designs, durable material, and outstanding performance.
- Best Manual Filing: Although Katzco Chainsaw Sharpener File Kit is not the sharpener tool that much more expensive, it still benefits users with various accessories as it is a complete set to sharpen the chain on your saw easily.
- Best Bar Mounted: Granberg Bar-Mount Chain Saw Sharpener is one of the only Bar Mounted chainsaw sharpener tools with adjustable pitch. Therefore, you can use it to sharpen most saws quickly and easily without any problems.